session 412: IM the Librarian – Meebo, Skype-Unyte Solution
Dan Sich – UWaterloo (though soon UWO)
I’m already familiar with Meebo as reference tool so I didn’t take many notes on that. These are just random notes I made during the session (I don’t like note-taking much).
hab.la (chat box floats, multiple pages, no lst transcripts, can ‘vanish’ when offline, trouble logging into GTalk, max 5 widgets).
Dan’s blog: http://www.shushers.ca/libraridan/
Reference with Meebo
– can put chat widget on subject guide pages
– using Google calendar for scheduling
– emails from gmail/hotmail accounts are forwarded to library email
– promotion: pass it on – “tell your friends!” after successful transaction.
– UWaterloo stats pretty good around 30-100 IM questions/month; abut 4/day in March and November.
– faster than chat, free, requires install
– bandwith is bad, but Windsows registry patch available to prevent computers being used as ‘supernodes’ (?)
– put poster in student life centre, and libraries
– on website’s quick poll asked IM question and added “Did you know yo can Skype a librarian?”
– 1 way screen sharing (i.e no co-browsing)
– works with skype, meebo, etc.
-no proxy issues
– requires install on library computer
– no plug-ins req’d for user
– free option available
– used best in brief situations since patron will have to replicate actions in own window after viewing
– Only share with one patron at a time
– can be interrupted.
– screen lag depends on usual web traffic
– need to login to skype
– Do NOT use unyte option under tools in Skype (loads a different version (?))
Since October launch not a lot of use of skype/voip/unyte – 4-10 ‘Skypes’ per month
– one factor – skype not installed on public stations on campus.
spontania (active x control)
yugma (patron install req’d too)
Solomon’s VOIP world – Review of desktop sharing:
Dan’s powerpoint with links will be posted on the conference website after the conference is over.